SMITHFIELD, RI – Vito Morgese had a shutout as the Bryant University baseball team beat Long Island University, 5-0, to win the Northeastern Conference Series.
Morgese dispersed seven hits, three goals on goals and six strikeouts in the first full game of his career. He threw a career-high 113 shots and also eliminated two runners.
The Bulldogs gave Morgese some breathing space with four runs from two outs in the fifth, propelled by back-to-back homers from Liam McGill and Derek Smith. McGill and Smith both finished with two hits.
Bryant 5, Long Island 0
Recordings: Bryant (19-11-1, 15-3 NCA), LIU (14-11, 12-9 NCA)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, RI)
W | L | S: Vito Morgese (2-2) | Alec Huertas (1-3)
- Matt Woods was hit with a 2-2 throw in the fifth, starting a two-out rally that was highlighted by back-to-back dingers McGill and Smith.
How did it happen
- Woods also kicked off the Bulldogs in the first, simplifying the start of the game. He would move up to second on a fly out and score on a single sighted Smith to make it 1-0.
- It stayed that way until fifth thanks to Morgese. He pulled the side out in third and then got help on an interference call that turned a fielder’s pick into a key 4-6-3 double play.
- In the fifth, Huertas took out the first two Bulldogs by just two lengths. Woods, however, worked the count and was hit with a 2-2 pitch. Jake Gustin followed with a simple left bloop, bringing McGill to home plate. McGill hammered the first pitch over the right center scorecard for a three-point shot. Smith followed suit, hitting an opposite home run to make it 5-0.
- Morgese then returned and closed his first full career game.
- Bryant played baseball without mistakes one day after making five mistakes.
- The Bulldogs lead LIU, 8-7.
- Morgese allowed seven hits, three goals on goals and six strikeouts in a full game.
- Woods finished with a pair of runs scored.
- McGill had two hits, including a home run and three RBIs.
- Smith had two hits, including a home run.
- James Ciliento collected a pair of singles.
- Gustin has now reached it safely in 21 straight games.
- Damaurys Rodriguez saw his hitting streak end in 19 games.
- McGill has achieved safety in all 26 games he has played this season.
- McGill’s home run was his eighth of the year and he now has 36 RBIs.
- Morgese kicked off his first career full game and his first career shutout.
- Morgese is the first Bulldog to achieve a shutout since Steve Theetge when opening the NEC tournament in 2019.
- Morgese is now eighth in DI program history with 168 strikeouts. He is third among lefties.
- Smith’s home run was his fourth of the year.
- Bryant has now won each of his six NEC series this year.
The Bulldogs travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass. On Wednesday afternoon to face Boston College. The first pitch is set at 3:00 p.m.