CONWAY, SC – The Bryant University baseball team fell to Coastal Carolina, 8-1, on Friday afternoon at Springs Brooks Stadium.
Austin Wainer and Brett Wichrwoski both made their college debuts in loss. Wainer struck out three in the bottom of the seventh and his compatriot freshman Brett Wichrowski followed up with a pair in the bottom of the eighth.
Offensively, Liam McGill finished 3-for-4 with a brace and Derek Smith and Jake Gustin each finished with two hits.
Carolina Coast 8, Bryant 1
Registers: Bryant (2-2), Carolina Coastal (3-2)
Location: Spring Brooks Stadium (Myrtle Beach, SC)
W | L | S: Jacob Maton (1-1) | Tyler Mattison (1-1)
- Coastal Carolina hit a grand slam in the bottom of the fourth to take a six-point lead.
How did it happen
- Coastal scored the first inning of the game on a single in the 3rd inning.
- In the fourth inning, Coastal scored his second inning of the game on wild ground. They followed up with a grand slam to take a 6-0 lead.
- The Chanticleers hit a single RBI on the right field line to increase their lead to seven in the bottom of the seventh (7-0).
- The Bulldogs scored their only run of the night early in the eighth inning on an RBI single from James Ciliento. Liam McGill hit a brace to get into the scoring position.
- Coastal scored the last inning of the game on a double with a left indent at the bottom of the eighth inning.
- Bryant hit Coastal 12-11.
- McGill led the way with three hits. Smith and Gustin both had two hits.
- Five Bulldogs has a hit today.
- Tyler Mattison had three strikeouts in the loss.
- Austin Wainer and Brett Wichrowski made their college debut this afternoon. Wainer had three strikeouts and Wichrowski struck out a pair.
- LeVangie also had two strikeouts that day.
- The Bulldogs left 10 runners on base.
- The Bulldogs are now 0-3 all-time against Coastal Carolina.
- Sam Sinisgalli posted his first career success in the contest.
The Black and Gold will play the second game of the CCU baseball tournament on Saturday against Kennesaw St. First Field at 11:00 am.